Mini Vegetarian Sheppard's Pies
I've been wanting to try this recipe for a long time because the pictures are just so striking, but I was a little hesitant because I wasn't sure how I would like all of the ingredients.
You can find the original post here.
- 2 1/2 cups baby purple potatoes
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 4 oz (half an 8 oz package) baby bell mushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 cups baby kale
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup (or more) ketchup
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce (not vegetarian, I used soy sauce in mine, Becky put worcestershire in hers)
- 1 Tbs. Herbs de Provence
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Of course we couldn't find all of the ingredients that we wanted, we used purple sweet potatoes, red lentils and left out the kale and mushrooms. Instead we substituted broccoli. This recipe makes 6 pies, we cut it in half to make 3.
You must also be a good multi-tasker.
|Peel and slice your purple potatoes.|
Boil for 20 minutes.
|Also cook the lentils for 20 minutes.|
|Lightly heat the vegetables in a skillet.|
|When the lentils are finished, add them to the vegetables.|
Stir in ketchup and soy/Worcestershire sauce.
|Mash the potatoes with milk and butter.|
|A the vegetables to the ramekins.|
|Top with the mashed potatoes. Bake for 10 minutes at 400.|
It's not that these were bad...I think our substitutions made it bad. I don't like sweet potatoes unless they're mixed with something even sweeter (like maple mayo), mashed potatoes would have been better. This was my first experience with lentils and I'm not partial to peas....I would have liked the filling better if it had more vegetables that I liked.